What is brainCloud?
brainCloud is a ready-made back-end platform for the development of feature-rich mobile+social games and gamified apps. brainCloud provides the features you need – along with comprehensive tools to support your team during development, testing and user support.
brainCloud consists of:
- Cloud Service – an advanced, Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS)
- Client Libraries – local client libraries (SDKs)
- Design Portal – a portal that allows you to design and debug your apps
There are custom brainCloud libraries for:
- C# – for C# examples that work from Unity
- C++ – for C++ examples, relevant for platform native and especially Cocos2d-x projects on iOS, Android, Windows, etc.
- AS – for Flash-based ActionScript API examples
- Java – for Java-based versions of the API to be called from Cloud-code
brainCloud supports the most popular gaming engines, including:
- Unity – brainCloud provides C# libraries, examples and tutorials for integration with Unity
- Unreal – we have support for Unreal 3.0, with 4.0 coming very soon
- Cocos2d-x – Cocos is supported natively using the C++ libraries
Understanding the APIs
brainCloud has a very broad feature-set – you can use as much or as little of it as you like.
This section gives some background on the how the brainCloud APIs work, in terms of concepts and structure. The details on API usage can be found in the API Modules section.
This introduction is organized into the following sections:
- Design Portal – getting started in the system
- Profiles and Identity – how brainCloud identifies end-users
- Cloud Data – overview of the brainCloud data APIs
- Gamification – discussion of the brainCloud gamification features
- Multiplayer – overview of brainCloud’s multiplayer capabilities
- Push Notifications – sending push notifications (programmatically) in brainCloud
- Leaderboards – discussion of leaderboards, pacers and tournaments
- Cloud Code – writing your own cloud code
- Currency, Payments and Promotions – dealing with virtual currencies, products, pricing and promotions